Friday, December 23, 2011

2012 Reading List

Inspired by Happy Catholic Julie and Rivets and Trees Scott (the dynamic duo who bring us biweekly A Good Story Is Hard to Find goodness), I am making some reading goals for 2012. Here they are:

Books on Writing, because I want to be a better writer:
  • On Writing by Stephen King (the guy probably writes more in one day than I read in one day)
  • Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury (if there is one author I could wish myself into being, it would be he)
Faith, because I am nearing Part 4 of the Catechism, which is on prayer, I plan to follow up with books on the Psalms:
  • Reflections on the Psalms by C. S. Lewis
  • Singing in the Reign by Michael Patrick Barber (by a Catholic Bible scholar and who doesn't love that title?)
  • The Psalms of David illustrated by James Freemantle (picked this up at a used bookstore and hope it is good)
Fiction, because there is awesome stuff I need to get too:
  • Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander (famous fantasy series in five books that aren't wrist-breakingly huge)
  • Chaos Trilogy by John C. Wright  (given to me by my best friend a few years ago, it's time to read them!)
  • The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (since the movie is coming out, I want to reread it in preparation)
Speaking of The Hobbit, about half the blogs I read have posted the trailer for the movie coming out in December 2012, so I will flatter them through imitation.




I know it doesn't seem like a terribly ambitious list, but I do have two children under 5 years old who are zombifying me. Which reminds me, I will be reading some zombie lit and parenting books, too.


4 comments:

  1. I love that list! King's book is partly advice and partly life story, but a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is probably not as good a writer as King, but I absolutely loved Pat Conroy's My Reading Life. His fiction is not my cup of tea, but this was a great little book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely loved the King book. It was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation, Patricia! I haven't read any of Conroy's works, probably because I disliked the movie version of "Prince of Tides." I'll put "My Reading Life" on my list!

    Also, just so I have all my info in one spot, this is the recommendations from Saturday Review at:

    On Writing Well by William Zinsser is a classic writing book, and I also like Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. Prydain is wonderful, and I wish you a happy year in the psalms.

    ReplyDelete