Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Anderson Playground, Shenley Park, Pittsburgh

Anderson Playground is known more commonly as "Dino Playground" for the dinosaur-themed equipment extant. It's located in Schenley Park, named after an heiress who donated most of the land. Our children had a fun time visiting and trying out the equipment.

The biggest dinosaur in the park is a stegosaurus with a slide for a tail, a climbable back, and rope nets for sides. It was very popular, even with other kids.

Stegosaurus

Even on the see-saw

He's up

She's up

One item actually got us parents involved. I don't even know what this is called, probably not a rope swing. This accommodates three riders though I have seen other ones that can have six or seven. I did ride on it but obviously didn't take a picture of myself.

Forward motion

Teamwork

The kids were a little disappointed this was not a free-standing swing. We've seen tire swings that are only attached by one point at the top that can spin and go in any direction. The two-point contact meant it just went back and forth in one direction.

Riding without enthusiasm

I saw this dinosaur head from a distance and though it was looking to the left with a grumpy expression. Then I realized it is probably looking right with a happy expression. He is at a playground, right? Was it made intentionally ambiguous? How many people mistake nostrils for ears?

Maybe he's looking both ways?

The web climber was a challenge for my kids to see who could make it to the top first. Obviously, picking the shortest route is the answer, though not an obvious one.

The competition ends

Close up of the winner

The kids did one last climb on the stegosaurus before we left.

Run to the back

No comments:

Post a Comment