Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Forgotten Classics Posting

I've posted another fairy tale to the Forgotten Classics podcast blog. It's a little story by Hans Christian Andersen called Great Claus and Little Claus. I was trying to get it done in time for Christmas (what with "Clauses" and all in it), but Christmas has been full of fun travel that didn't allow for much recording and editing time. I am pretty happy with the results.

The other exciting part of it is that it is the debut of my own part of the feed which I'm calling "Forgotten Tales." The focus is on fairy tales, folklore, myths, legends and other such stories. I'd already done two podcasts of tales from the Brothers Grimm. I plan to do a lot more branching out in the future, including some Native American stories, Aesop's Fables, and some Polynesian stories too (I have a book from Hawaii and another from Guam with lots of stories to choose from).

As a distinct part of the podcast, I created my own bumpers. Originally, I wanted to get some music that sounded like Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite. After some searching around, I finally just went with parts of the Peer Gynt Suite. The best part of doing that was taking the time to just sit and listen to the music. Too often I'll put on classical music and treat it like background noise while I'm doing something else (like writing a blog!). Focusing on listening to the music made me realize how delightful the composition is, its use of repeated themes and the amazing way it builds up to the ending. I really do need to take more time to just sit back and listen to great music without any distractions.

Also of interest, Julie from Forgotten Classics has a new podcast/blog called A Good Story is Hard to Find. The first episode is about the zombie apocalypse novel The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell. I haven't read the book or listened to the podcast yet, but will soon. Next up for discussion is Serenity, Joss Whedon's big screen follow up to his short-lived TV show, Firefly. It's bound to be great, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment