Thursday, October 13, 2011

Jacob's Idea

It was a dark and stormy afternoon last week. Mommy was at work, the kids had just gotten up. We were downstairs playing when the phone rang.

I ran upstairs to our one and only phone to pick it up. So far, the only calls we've gotten on the home phone are two random solicitations (one was from a pub, but when they found out we weren't the home owners, we were out whatever fabulous prize they were offering. I knew we shouldn't be renting!) and calls from Mommy. This call was from Mommy.

I walked back downstairs as I talked because who can trust a two-year old and a four-year old when left alone to scheme together or to finish the other one off. My wife was wondering if we wanted to come and pick her up from work so she wouldn't have to ride the bus and walk home in the cold, wet, dark, wind-driven rain. It sounded like a good idea to me.

I asked the children if they wanted to go pick up Mommy from work. Lucy was blithely uninterested. Jacob said, "No, I'm ok here." Mommy heard that over the phone and asked again. Jacob looked out the window and repeated his denial. I'm sure he didn't want to go out in the rain.

Then he piped up, "I have an idea. Mommy can...put her hood up!" This seemed like a great solution to him. Her rain coat does have a hood to keep her hair dry. Mommy was not amused. Well, eventually she saw the humor in it, but not till after she rode the bus home.

I can't wait to hear what ideas he has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment