Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Geocaching October 2021

A popular type of geocache is the Mystery Cache. The coordinates on the website are not the actual location of the cache, usually parking nearby the cache (though not always). The cache description has some puzzle to solve. Sometimes the puzzle involves information about the location or signs near the location (taking numbers from the sign to fill in coordinates). Sometimes the puzzle is something to solve at home before going out. Land Surveying - Area is the later sort of cache. The puzzle involves converting square feet into acres to get the last three digits for the coordinates, so easy to do at home (or even with a cell phone). I figured out the actual coordinates at home and then made the find in Savage Park. The container was extra tricky since it blended into the environment well.

Somewhere in there

A nearby shopping center has four geocaches but I was only able to find one. The Dick Maxx cache is hidden out in plain sight of all the parking lots, within sight of Dick's Sporting Goods and TJ Maxx (hence the seemingly inappropriate name).

Stores and cache all in one photo!

On a mission cache was too well camouflaged for me. The other two caches had too many muggles around them for me to feel comfortable searching, which is weird since the one in the middle of the parking lot was okay. Maybe some other day I will be back and try again.

While shopping another day, I found Ana's Cache, which was not too near the stores. The far end of the parking lot is for the Christmas rush I suppose. The only muggles I ran into were geese!

Parking area

The only ones around this end of the parking lot

In nearby parking lot is Sold Your Fit. The cache was in a classic spot with a cobwebby pen in the same spot. I guess another cacher left the pen?

View from the cache toward the parking lot

Further down the industrial park's lot is another mystery cache, LOB: Evergreen. The puzzle to solve is fairly easy but does require actual presence at the posted coordinates. After manipulating the numbers properly, I put the answer in Certitude and that website gave me the final coordinates. It's the first time I used it. The final coordinates were off in a wooded area near the industrial park.

View from the cache not toward the parking lot

No comments:

Post a Comment