Saturday, March 17, 2012

Chartreuse the Liqueur, Not the Color

From Wikipedia
What a happy discovery to find that Chartreuse is not just a color but is also a fabulous liqueur made by Carthusian monks in France.

The monks originally came across the recipe for this liqueur in 1605. It was described as an "elixir of long life." The monks began making it for medicinal purposes (at 55% alcohol, I can see how it has potent properties). It can still be bought in small, concentrated quantities for just that purpose, though probably no reputable doctor would prescribe it. The recipe was altered in the 1760s and the monks went through a long history of being banished by the French government and coming back to reestablish production. Read more about it at Wikipedia.

The distinctive green color is from chlorophyll. The name is from the monastery where it is produced, i.e. Grande Chartreuse. This is the head monastery of the Carthusian order. Also, it was the monastery featured in the documentary Into Great Silence.

Here's some recipes I've tried with the blessed stuff:

CHARTREUSE SOLEIL "Sunburst" from here
1 part of Green Chartreuse
6 parts of orange juice
Serve over ice in a long glass

This drink is like a liquid form of the smell of freshly mowed grass or fresh cut herbs. There's no hint of mint, only the refreshing feel of being outdoors on a fine spring day. I found this very enjoyable and would make a great summertime cocktail.

CHARTREUSE TONIC from here
1 part of Green Chartreuse
9 parts of tonic
Serve over ice in a long glass

If you like tonic water, you may like this drink. I don't like tonic (which I forgot) so I didn't like this drink. Anybody want five 12 oz. cans of tonic water?

GREEN CHAUD “Chartreuse Mousse" from here
One teaspoon of Chartreuse in a mug of hot chocolate

This version of hot chocolate is very nice. The chocolate brings out the mint flavor of the Chartreuese, but the other herbs are floating around in the background leaving a delightful impression on your tongue. This drink is quite popular at French ski resorts, if word on the internet can be trusted.

Here are other drinks I haven't tried yet but will soon. I wanted to include them (hopefully a video of the Flaming Dragon), but I needed something green for the blog on St. Patrick's Day.

FLAMING DRAGON from here
1 oz. Green Chartreuse
1 oz. Bacardi 151 Rum
Mix together and light on fire. Let the drink sit for about 10 sec. Blow out (optional according to the web site, though I don't see how you can drink it if it's still on fire, especially if you, like me, have facial hair).

GREEN GLACIER from here
2 oz. brandy
3/4 oz. Green Chartreuse
1/4 oz. white creme de cacao
2 dashes Angostura bitters
Stir with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

We would have done this already if I could find white creme de cacao. The search goes on!

If we survive both a green glacier and a flaming dragon in our home, I will report accordingly on the results.

2 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to mention just how much I can't stand Chartreuse. Which surprised me a lot. But it is so very herbal that I feel as if I'm drinking essence of basil, or something like that. And unfortunately I can sense it in anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very potent and makes it's presence known. I can see how the flavor is polarizing--like the movie Blade Runner, either you love it or hate it. I wonder if the novelty of the flavor will eventually lose its appeal for me.

      Delete