Friday, April 30, 2021

Movie Review: The Man Who Laughs (1928)

The Man Who Laughs (1928) directed by Paul Leni, based on Victor Hugo's novel

Gwynplaine (Conrad Veidt) is the son of disgraced nobleman Lord Clancharlie under English King James II. The king punishes the nobleman by turning the ten-year old Gwynplaine (Julius Molnar) over to Comprachicos, a band of gypsies who disfigure people and sell them. The king gets the idea from his sadistic jester Barkilphedro (Brandon Hurst). The Comprachicos give Gwynplaine a broad, ridiculous grin. James banishes the Comprachicos from England but they leave Gwynplaine behind. Gwynplaine flees through the snows, discovering a baby cradled by a dead mother. He takes the baby and winds up at the house of Ursus the Philosopher (Cesare Gravina), who takes both of them in as his children. Ursus is also a traveling showman. 

Once the children are grown, the trio wanders England putting on shows featuring Gwynplaine as "The Man Who Laughs." The show is popular but Gwynplaine is ashamed of his disfigurement. The baby has grown up to be Dea (Mary Philbin), who is blind but still performs in the show. She loves Gwynplaine but he can't believe any woman would love him with the way he looks. They go to a popular fair near London where the doctor from the Comprachicos has his own freak show (including a five-legged cow!). The doctor recognizes his work. He also knows that the spoiled Duchess Josiana (Olga Baclanova) has inherited the Clancharlie estate. The doctor plans to blackmail Josiana. The plan doesn't work out because Barkilphedro, who has become a noble, intercepts the letter. He offers the information to Queen Anne so she can get rid of Josiana, or better yet, humiliate her by forcing her to marry Gwynplaine, who is now destined to wind up in the House of Lords. Tragedy ensues.

Veidt's makeup inspired the look of Batman's arch-nemesis, The Joker. Barkilphedro seems more like the inspiration for Joker's personality. He's sadistic and vicious, ready to take advantage of anyone for his own benefit or even just his own amusement. Gwynplaine is a sensitive and caring man who can barely stand other people seeing his face. Veidt gives the character lots of pathos and delivers a great performance, though often only his eyes are visible. The rest of the cast is also good. The movie is a silent film and the actors use the typical exaggerated gestures common in the silent era. 

The sets are impressive, capturing the gloominess of the story and the roughness of the late seventeenth/early eighteenth century England. Leni's directorial style is nice, with occasional expressionistic flourishes that heighten the drama. I was a little worried when I bought this BluRay/DVD because the cover art looks unprofessional, but the film looks great and the score is fine.

Recommended, highly for silent film buffs.


5 comments:

  1. I especially loved the moment when Dea says God made her blind so she could learn to love him for who he was without being prejudiced against him because of his disfigurement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a great moment. I was a little worried about buying this because I might only watch it once, but I will definitely be rewatching it. I guess I lucked out that the library didn't have it!

      Delete
  2. I was really impressed that you bought it in order to watch it! My daughter, Rose, loves this film and has seen it 3 times. I, myself, would buy Metropolis, no question, but I have seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Metropolis, I should watch that again. That's a movie I did see before I bought it, which is my usual MO. I have a soft spot for German Expressionism, which was part of the appeal to me for The Man Who Laughs (along with the rave reviews and the Batman connection). If I hadn't liked it, the library would have wound up with a copy!

      Delete
    2. I'm beginning to think I too might have a soft spot for German expressionism. Which is something I never would have thought possible! :-D

      Delete