Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Geocaching June 2021

Realizing we are very close to 500 geocaches found, I've decided to put some effort in to achieving that goal. Since my youngest was going to the Cub Scout summer day camp out at the fairgrounds, I found a bunch there.

The fairground is near Turf Valley Resort, a golf course and resort that's had a small community pop up around it. Turf Valley Central is a cache in a standard location but the container was something different, which I enjoyed. 

Turf Valley Central cache location

There's also a Turf Valley North cache that's a short walk away from the central cache. The hiding spot was more clever and more enjoyable.

The cache is somewhere in this picture 

Sadly, there's no South, West, or East Turf Valley caches. My next find was called Teeter's Backside. A grocery store named Harris Teeter is the hub of Turf Valley's shopping plaza, so I drove behind the store and was not very near the cache. I realized ground zero was further down the road that runs behind the shopping plaza. The location was similar to Central above but the container was very different.

Guard rails are a popular spot

A scout placed the next cache, Creek. Alas, no guard rail or any man-made structures were immediately visible. I also didn't see a creek, though clearly rainwater drains through this area from the nearby housing. Finding the cache took longer than it should have.

Where's the creek?

At a nearby park and ride is Hole in a Pole, which is a much more helpful name than Creek. The only challenge is the number of poles in the parking lot. The coordinates make the find fairly easy. The container fits nicely into the hole in the pole. My biggest challenge here was two guys making an exchange here. One guy pulled up in a truck and took a cardboard box out of the bed. The other guy opened his trunk, paid for the goods, and put it in his trunk. Then they stood around talking for a while. I had to wait till they cleared out.

Park and ride hide!

The final cache I looked for was Mountain View Cemetery

The right place

The coordinates pointed to the gazebo in the middle of the cemetery. I looked all over the gazebo, in the benches, and in the bushes next to the gazebo. All I found was cicada carcasses.

It's here somewhere

A hiding bug

After I posted the "Did not find" the cache owner sent me an email with an additional hint. Someone came later in the day and found the cache, so it was definitely my bad. If I am back in the area, I will try again.

Current geocache find count: 489.

No comments:

Post a Comment