Sunday, January 11, 2015

Memorial Presbyterian Church, St. Augustine, Florida

Henry Morrison Flagler was a partner of John D. Rockefeller in founding the Standard Oil Company. They both became wealthy. Flagler made major developments on Florida's Atlantic coast. One project was a memorial to his daughter, Jennie Louise Flagler Benedict, who died in childbirth in 1889. The Memorial Presbyterian Church was dedicated in March 1890.

Memorial Presbyterian Church, St. Augustine

The church's dome and side entrance

The side entrance

Architects John Carrere and Thomas Hastings took inspiration from St. Mark's Cathedral in Venice, Italy. The floor plan of the church is shaped like a Latin cross and the dome has an ornate, Byzantine look.



The baptismal font came from a solid piece of marble and has intricate decorations.

Baptismal font

Fish on top of the font

The pulpit was purpose built for this church and has a solid mahogany sounding board above to amplify the minister's sermon.


The stained-glass windows were installed in 1902. The chandeliers are bronze and cross-shaped. Originally, they were gas lit but in the 1920s they switched to electric lighting.

Stained glass windows and bronze double-cross chandeliers

A few side altars have historical displays and other items of interest.

A simple side altar

Needham Melodeon circa 1870

Moveable organ

No comments:

Post a Comment