Thursday, November 19, 2020

Dual/Duel Review: Wafer Wars!

 Dual/Duel reviews are an online smackdown between two books, movies, games, podcasts, etc. etc. that I think are interesting to compare, contrast, and comment on. For a list of other dual/duel reviews, go here.

Going to the grocery store is sometimes a more interesting experience than you expect. Often the shelves have competing versions of the same product, like store brand versions of name brand cereals. On one trip, I discover two distinct types of vanilla wafers. But this was not just a store type and a brand name. This was two different products with virtually the same names:

You'd think there would be a legal battle over this

I might never have noticed the close connection of these two products except that they are shelved very close to each other, at least in stores where I have shopped. Voortmans is new to me, so the classic Nilla Wafers will get the first treatment.

A Nilla Wafer

Contender #1: Nabisco Nilla Wafers

Nilla Wafers by Nabisco are a popular American treat. I've been eating them since my childhood. The circular, rounded wafers look a bit like a cookie. They are dry and crispy like a cracker. Any hot beverage (hot cocoa, tea, coffee) goes well with them. Milk, a cookie's classic companion, also goes very well with them. They can be put in pudding (I've had it most often with banana pudding) to give it some nice texture. If you could find some round chocolates, I bet they'd make a great alternative to graham crackers in smores. 

By themselves, Nilla Wafers are a bit plain. They do have a hint of vanilla flavor, but just a hint. The list of ingredients does not include vanilla, unless it is covered by "natural and artificial flavor," the last ingredient listed. That villainous sweetener, high fructose corn syrup, is listed much higher. No one really eats dessert for its nutritional value, so maybe these defects are not so important.

Voortman Bakery Vanilla Wafer

Contender#2: Voortman Bakery Vanilla Wafers

These wafers look much more like the wafer cookies that are sold in stores and seem to be the inspiration for ice cream cones. I've never liked wafer cones. They are disappointing after eating the ice cream on top. We used to get wafer cookies, those tiny rectangles that usually came either in one flavor or in a "neapolitan" blend of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry wafers. Of all the desserts in the pantry of my youth, they would be my last choice for dessert. Too dry, too saccharine sweet for me. And the texture reminds me of styrofoam.

Voortman Bakery wafers go a long way to reforming the underwhelming character of wafer cookies. The wrapper even says they are baked "with real vanilla" and they have no high fructose corn syrup. They do taste a lot more natural and appealing. The texture is much crisper. I've grown quite fond of them.

Which is better?

I wouldn't have guessed from looking at them, but the Voortman Bakery Vanilla Wafers won out. They both have light, crispy textures, though the Voortman is more so. The Voortman taste is great. Will they make it into an ice cream cone worth eating?

Even so, I still enjoy the Nabisco version. Either won is worth snacking on!

Winner: 



Loser: 


No comments:

Post a Comment