Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Book Review: Run, Shepherds, Run by L. William Countryman

Run, Shepherds, Run: Poems for Advent and Christmas by L. William Countryman


Countryman collects an assortment of poems for the Advent and Christmas seasons. There's a poem for each day, starting on the first day of Advent and ending on January 6, the Feast of the Epiphany (the celebration of the wise men visiting the infant Jesus and giving Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh). The poems run a good historical range, from the 1600s to the present day. They are written by a mixture of famous and less famous writers. Like many anthologies, the set is a mixed bag of good and average works, though I will admit my tastes in poetry are underdeveloped. 

I liked the book for the most part though I do not think that in enhanced my yuletide spirituality, which seems to be the aim of Countryman, who is an Episcopalian priest. I may hunt around for a more edifying day-to-day Advent devotional.

Mildy recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment