Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Beningbrough Hall and Gardens--Hall Exterior

After visiting the gardens of the hall, here's Beningbrough Hall itself!

The Domesday Book of 1086 records an estate called "Benniburg" owned by a man named Asford. In the 1100s and 1200s, the monks from York's Hospital of St. Leonard were given the estate. They used it for farming. After Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in 1539, the property passed to the Bourchier family. In the 1700s, John Bouchier inherited the property at the age of 16. He did his grand tour of the continent and spent several years living in Italy. When he came back to Beningbrough, he rebuilt the hall in Italian Baroque style. The house has passed to other families and has had some amenities added (including running water and electricity). The National Trust received the property in 1958 when the final heiress, Lady Chesterfield, didn't leave enough wealth behind to cover the death duties.

The house retains its Baroque styling on the outside. One modern convenience is the iron level by the front steps that opens the estate's front gates.

Beningbrough Hall

Fancy lintel (click to enlarge)

The front gate level

Just around back of the house on the left is a kennel. Lord Chesterfield loved his Labradors and had them close by.

Mommy and J by the kennel

L and the (plastic) dog

Just beyond the kennel by the back lawn is a small fish pond, well stocked even on a chilly March day.

Kids at the fish pond

Fish in the fish pond

On the other side of the house is the Victorian Laundry with both wet and dry rooms, where clothes were washed and then dried.

Leading into the Victorian Laundry

Washing and drying contraptions

Stoves for heat/drying

Laundry supplies

A farm building holds vintage gardening tools; the back of the house has some small decorative gardens.

Garden tools

A relaxing garden next to the house

Three-quarter view of the back of the house

Back of the house

In the next post, we'll go inside the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment