Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Lancaster Brewing Company, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

We went to Lancaster Brewing Company's Harrisburg location for dinner during our Hershey trip. As usual, we got the pretzel appetizer for everyone and a flight of beer for me. The pretzel was really good but I think we've grown enough as a family that we might need to order two pretzel appetizers in the future!

Unassuming facade

Pretzel, twisted but not crossed

The beer flight

 This beer flight was a nice change from other places. They had fourteen selections on a two-sided sheet of paper. I just circled the ones I wanted. The tray came with the beers on their numbers! Since I picked #13, it came in the middle.

Side #2 of the available options

 Those with especially good sight or high resolution monitors (sorry phone readers!) may notice the above picture lists a six-tasting flight and a twelve tasting flight! I was not intrepid enough to try twelve different beers. The ones I did try were the following:
  1. Strawberry Wheat (ABV 4.7%)--They've been making this since 1995, so it clearly is very popular. I didn't particularly like it. This beer is another example of the mistake that is mixing fruit with beer.
  2. Double-Chocolate Milk Stout Nitro (ABV 6.8%)--A yummy concoction with pure chocolate and cocoa nibs, this smooth drinker was pretty awesome, though maybe not the best to pair with dinner. It's more of a dessert or on-its-own beer.
  3.  Baked Pumpkin Ale (ABV 7.5%)--a seasonal ale that does capture pumpkin spiceness without being disappointing. This beer is an example of the exception to the rule about mixing fruit with beer.
  4. Hefeweizen (ABV 6.0%)--not the best Hefeweizen I've had (Weeping Radish on the Outer Banks makes the best) but a very good one.
  5. Fresh Roasted Peanut Butter Ale (ABV 6.5%)--what a nice blend of peanut and caramel flavors! This ale was the surprise for me. I tried it for the exotic nature but would definitely drink more given the opportunity. This may replace Sweet Baby Jesus! in my peanut butter beer preferences.
  6. Lancaster Oktoberfest (ABV 5.5%)--this beer was a little too lagery for my taste. It does make me look forward to Oktoberfests, though.

 I had fish and chips for dinner that was delightful. My son was even more delighted with his grilled cheese sandwich (featuring bacon slices and a tomato jam).

Fish and chips

Happiest customer ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment