Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Lake Phoenix, Virginia

Lake Phoenix, Virginia, is a former quarry that has been turned into a scuba-diving lake. It's located just off I-85 in the middle of the state.

One of the signs

Divers-only sign added later!

My eldest was completing his PADI certification with four open dives. His group had seven students and two instructors, so a very nice ratio.

Off to the lake

In the lake

The area includes campgrounds (even with RV hook-ups!) and some other entertainment options.

Playground, volleyball, and basketball

Arcade and other support buildings

Obviously, the main focus is on diving, with an entrance building that rents equipment and sells snacks and other items to the divers. 

Back of the main building

I mostly hung out reading a book at a covered picnic table while my son was diving. I did find some local geocaches outside the park.

At the top of a hill

View of the lake from the hill (it's out there somewhere)

I did see some wildlife while I was there. 

Lizard!

The lake is beautiful and has some underwater features to explore.

The quarry

View from the banks

That boat don't float!

The dive dock

The little buoys in the lake mark where the submerged features are located.

Early morning view

Later in the day

My son passed with flying colors (maybe that should be submerged colors?). 

A happy diver

Ringing the bell after being certified

No comments:

Post a Comment