Thursday, September 15, 2022

Geocaching August 2022

The first cache of August was toward the middle (due to being busy and not having holes in the calendar). Finally on the 11th, we found When You Need One #3, part of a series we've been working our way through. This was an easy find while going to the library. Not easy was extracting the log from the tiny bullet container. I failed, so I didn't sign the log. The cache owner hasn't deleted my online log, so I guess I am good.

View from the cache, not to the cache

The next day I found ....2017.... which I hadn't found on a previous visit because of high weeds. The weeds were still pretty bad but I made the find.

Least helpful "view from the cache" ever

The next day I found When You Need One #4, which is noteworthy because it's across the street from a house where Dwight Eisenhower stayed for part of his training assignment to Fort Meade in 1919. 

The Ike House

After an illness-induced hiatus, I was back on track with The Black Cache... which was an easy find on the way to the grocery store!

View from the cache

SWEET 16 is a cache and dash behind a local hotel.

Going in mid-morning means no one is watching?

I finally finished out the When You Need One series with #2, which was the most stressful find because a muggle walked up and asked if he could help! I had a little chat with him. He did not quite seem convinced that geocaching was a real thing. I told him everybody has hobbies and he seemed satisfied. He did not help with the find, which was out in the open but so small only an experienced eye would see it.

Somewhere on that building

20 Reviewers Challenge is a mystery cache where the finder needs to have found caches placed by at least 20 different geocachers. With my 600+ finds, it was a sure thing that I found that many different caches. The big trick is getting a list to prove it. Fortunately, someone made Project-GC where data from geocaching.com can be crunched in different ways. The site even has specific searches custom-crafted for various challenges like this hide. 

Nice trees near the cache

I found another random act of kindness cache, RAKMD12:tape change to a vending machine. The cache was just off a trail on a hillside with plenty of green vegetation on a sunny, late August afternoon.

A cool and refreshing area

Next was RAKMD13:bring a healthy snack to the office which is less appropriate than it was before Covid! This hide was off a trail near #12 above.

You've seen one woods, you've seen them all

My next find was Splinter's Hideout, which is a reference to the trainer of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. One of his relatives is the container!

The hideout's neighborhood

Not in the hideout

The last find of the month was another mystery cache, HAPPY NEW YEAR GEOCACHERS. The whole post on the web site is in caps (with a lot of bold!). The find was fairly easy, just off the road.

Near ground zero

Another rodent!

The month ends with six days without finds, for which I blame getting Covid--I was knocked out for a key week when I hadn't geocached before. Still, I got the month total under ten days without cacheing, which is my goal for this year, so I am satisfied. September has twenty-one empty days, so look for a lot of activity next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment