Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Food in Europe 2023

We did a lot of cooking in our airbnbs, but we went out to eat too on our European trip. Here's some highlights!

Outside of Stonehenge, we went to The Wheatsheaf Pub where I had a Steak and Tangle Foot Pie (Tangle Foot being a beer used in cooking). It came with a mashed potato bed, braised carrots, kale, and a Badger beer (the brewery that makes Tangle Foot) gravy. It was yummy and the quote outside the pub was groovy. 

Steak and Tangle Foot Pie

A Sting by any other name would be as loquacious

When visiting Winchester, we had some Chinese food in a shop along the high street. It was quite delicious though not as quick as I would have liked.

Arty shot of steamed dumplings and noodle soup

At Mottisfont (a National Trust property) we had a snack. I had a scone with clotted cream and jam. It was delicious.

A British classic, with tea, of course!

Whilst staying in Harrogate, we went over to Ripley, a small town on the way to Ripon. Ripley has a castle but more importantly it has fantastic ice cream!

English Butter Toffee Ice Cream

Ripley Town Square

One of the many beers I tried was Hobgoblin Ruby Red, which was a delicious red beer that was smooth and tasty.

Hobgoblin Ruby Red

In Spain, I tried the local beer, Estrella Damm. It was a typical lager, ok for a hot day. 

The local lager

For a snack, we got some baked goods. We ordered a churro, macaroons glued together by caramel, raspberry cakes, and a large slice of chocolate cake. The cake was ordered by our youngest. He did share with the rest of us.

"What have I done?!?"

In Sete, France, we stopped for a snack and I had a Nutella-filled crepe. We had a little trouble ordering because the waiter thought we wanted a regular meal, some fish item, and he couldn't figure out why we'd want Nutella with it. Fortunately, it got sorted.

Crepe and cream

Later, the kids stayed home and had pasta while we parents had a little date at a waterside cafe two blocks from our place. Since Sete is by the Mediterranean, seafood was a common item. We ordered a half liter of sangria, the mussels appetizer, and grilled tuna with potatoes and salad for the main course.

Having already poured half the pitcher

Great presentation (except for potatoes on the salad)

On the train trip to Sete, we drank water, when we were awake. We also packed sandwiches--French bread, cheese, and ham (though no picture).

Refreshing

My daughter and I got some simple plates for lunch in Nimes. They were delicious but minimalist on the serving size. I am glad I did not get an alcoholic drink to go with it!

Manchego and potatoes

Ham and potato croquettes

Later, we had some ice cream. I had a scoop of banana chocolate with another scoop of cherry on top.

Nimean ice cream

Our last day in Sete we bought some special treats from the local bakery which we had sampled the day before.

Sampling

Unnamable joys

In Lyon, we went to a Vietnamese restaurant. I had the pineapple chicken, which was delightful.

My favorite fruit

On the train, we tried a new flavor of potato chip, Herbes de Provence. It was just okay

Now with authentic French potatoes!

We tried some bakery treats we brought with us. Swiss rolls were yummy, even if Switzerland was not too far into our future. Sete's Zezettes are sweet bread sticks that hit the spot.

Two treats in one photo!

In Switzerland, my wife and daughter got cheese fondue for dinner while I had another Swiss dish, spatzli with melted Valais Raclette cheese. It was scrumptious.

Fondue!

Spatzli

The next day, we went the Restaurant Altes Tramdepot, which brews its own beer along with serving food and ice cream. I had a tall glass of their wheat beer, which is one of the best (a regional standard, so no surprise). We ordered other local (or localish) foods--a pretzel and rosti--a shredded potato dish with various things on top. Mine had baked onions, cheese, and a fried egg.

Restaurant

Weissbeir

A great pretzel

So many toppings, it's hard to see the potatoes!

We had more rosti at a restaurant on top of the hill south of town the next day.

rosti with sausage and onion gravy

For dessert, we had some chocolate from a local store. Counts as Swiss chocolate, right?

Swiss chocolates

Our last meal in Bern was at an McCarthy's Irish Pub! I had fish and chips, but the beer was a local brew.

Two countries in one meal!

On our first day in Italy, the first meal the kids wanted was pizza. We went to a shop that offered individual pizzas, but they were so big that we had leftovers to take back to our apartment.

A pizza as big as me

The next night we went to a regular restaurant where I ordered my favorite, carbonara, that tasted great. My kids commented on the lack of vegetables. I've modified the recipe to add onions, peppers, and mushrooms to make it even healthier, though less authentic.

Pure, Italian carbonara

On our way back to our apartment, we stopped for gelato. I had biscotti-flavored cream that was super-delicious.

Yum!

Enjoying his own

The next day was Sunday, so we went to the Duomo for an early Mass. Then we went for a treat at Princi, a small bakery chain in the area that makes amazing pastries. I had a banana-cream cheese pastry. We also had a plain brioche, a chocolate brioche, a croissant/brioche hybrid, and a piece of cheesecake (we think). They are great and we'd gladly go back. 

Princely pastries

Our last meal out in Milan was at Pepe & Sale, a restaurant with all the local dishes. I tried the eggplant parmesan, which was appetizer-sized. My wife got the PepeSale pizza with local sausage on it. My son ordered a cutlet with tuna sauce on it, though when it came it looked like a plate of nothing but sauce. A little exploring discovered the very thinly-sliced pork underneath.

Eggplant parm

The house pizza

Is this just hummus?

He also ordered potatoes on the side, which turned out to be a delightful hybrid between fries and chips.

Best potatoes ever?

We ordered desert--panna cotta in rich chocolate sauce and tiramisu. They were both delightful, inspiring a desire to make them at home!

Lucious panna cotta

Tiramisu 

Our last trip was to Como, Italy. After a ride on a boat, we had a snack at one of the local bakeries. We had a strange soda that tasted sweet and slightly bitter. I had an apple strudel and my wife had a biscotto.

Pastries and soda

Lunch was my first taste of local beer, Peroni's Grand Riserva, which was a nice red beer.

I should have filled the glass first!

For lunch, I ordered the lasagne alla bolognese, which was shorter than I was expecting. 

Lasagne

It was delicious and I shared some of the other dishes (pizza and a tuna steak) from the other members of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment