Monday, September 18, 2023

Geocaching August 2023

We drove out to visit my niece at her summer internship at Cacapon Resort State Park in West Virginia. They have a five-mile drive up to an overlook on Cacapon Mountain. In addition to the nice view of the valley below, there's a geocache a tenth of a mile away from the observation deck. We found AHWV Switch Digit down a road from the overlook.

View from the overlook

Less impressive view of the cache area

Filling an empty day on my geo-calendar was Konterra Dr. - Series #4 - Light Box which is near to my kids' orthodontist. I had to pick up some rubber bands for braces and picked up this cache at the same time.

There's the drive and the lights

Snacktime... was another quick find that filled a day I needed in August. The view from the cache is getting less and less impressive as the month goes on.

Don't go over there for snacks!

Nearby, but found on the next day, is Blackout... by the same geocache owner. It was another easy find and another filled day on my August calendar.

View from the cache

Another day-filler is Count Your Steps... in the same neighborhood as the other caches above.

Another boring road view

I had my eldest do some driving practice on a day I need to fill, so we found three geocaches fairly close to each other. Light Out was a very quick find, the most time we spent was walking from the car.

View from the cache

In the same parking lot was Chap Stick... which uses an old Chap Stick container for the hide. The nearby trail was tempting but the heat and humidity were too much.

View from another cache

Finally we found The Black Spider! behind a building. It was spooky enough but not scary. Nearby we found a butterfly that was gracious enough to allow a photo.

View from the arachnid

View of the insect

I finally went to a geocaching meet-up, an event cache called 28 August Back to School!!!! (Micro). It was a nice group of people meeting in the parking lot of a deli at 5:45 a.m. Even though it was super-early, I will probably go back again to boost my stats. I may even be bold enough to take a picture at the next meetup!

Nearby, but found on a later date, is FoFD #9--LittleBlkDog. The cache is dedicated to a cacher who goes by the geo-name Little Black Dog. He was a local cacher who has moved on to more northern pastures.

I've seen this view before

I ran an errand in Annapolis and found Attributes are important, LOB! That's a multi-cache where the first coordinates have a distinctive feature that provides an answer at certitude, a web site that seems to be made specifically for solutions to geocache puzzles. I had the right answer quickly enough and was stealthy enough at the true ground zero to make the find. The area was busy and the container was big enough to fit Darth Vader in, as the picture clearly shows.

Ok, maybe just his head

The month ends with 856 finds total and a full row of August caches. 

Click to enlarge!


No comments:

Post a Comment