Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Calvados Recipes

Calvados is an apple brandy made in the Normandy/Brittany area of France. I bought some to try and it had a recommended recipe on the back:

Ingredients
Jack Rose
  4 cl Calvados Pere Francois VS
  2 cl jus de citron
  1 cl sirop de grenadine

Shakez ces ingredients et servez dans un verre a cocktail!, which according to Google Translate is "Shake well these ingredients and serve in a cocktail glass!" Also, 4 centiliters is about 1.35 ounces. For my drink, I combined 1/2 oz. of grenadine, 1 ounce lemon juice, and 2 ounces Calvados. The recipe doesn't mention ice so I tried shaking it without ice and it tasted alright. It's still got the sharp brandy flavor but the lemon juice and grenadine give it some complex tastes I like. 

I tried it another day with ice and it is not as good. I guess the recipe left the ice out for a reason!


I thought I would invent my own recipe based on my recent travels.

European Union
  1/2 oz. Raki (after dinner wine from Crete/Greece)
  1/2 oz. Limoncello (lemon apertif from Italy)
  1/2 oz. Calvados (apple brandy from France)
  1/2 oz. Lewza Liquor (almond apertif from Malta)
  1/2 oz. Unicum Zwack (alcoholic poison from Hungary)
  1/2 oz. Jura (whiskey from Scotland)
  1/2 oz. Green Chartreuse (herbal liquor from France)
  1/2 oz. Porto Calem (dry port from Portugal)

Actually, this sounds like such a disaster that I should rename it "The League of Nations." I have not made this drink, nor do I recommend it.

To apologize for the above invention, here are some cute pictures of the kids from France:

L is blinded by patriotism

Some shop was playing Gangnam Style and J danced

No comments:

Post a Comment