Friday, May 29, 2015

Book Review: Itty Bitty Hellboy by Art Baltazar and Franco

Itty Bitty Hellboy by Art Baltazar and Franco


What if Hellboy and his friends were a group of youngsters having adventures in their backyard like kids always do? That's the premise of this book. The drawings are cute and most stories are two to four page long, often ending in a joke. It reads like a cross between Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes. I found the book mildly entertaining--it seems aimed at a much younger audience than me. Though I think the age the book is aimed at is probably (and properly) completely unfamiliar with Hellboy and his companions in the regular comics, so many of the jokes will be missed. And there's the weird bit where Roger the Homunculus twins himself so he can date Baba Yaga and Hecate, which also isn't really appropriate for younger readers the way it comes off here. The overall tone is odd. I'm not sure who I'd recommend this for, and I don't plan to read it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment