Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 Book Review and 2020 Plans

As is my habit, I pick out some books each year to read so I can keep whittling down my shelf of shame. It's fun to have a challenge and I try not to pick too many books or else I can't do any spontaneous reading. Here's my list of planned reading from last year--I read them all! This is the first year in a long while that I accomplished a full list. My secret was not to be overly ambitious. Maybe I'll switch that up for next year. Here's the 2019 success story...

Fiction
  • Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset--Something finished up from 2018. Reviewed here.
  • The Fall of Gondolin by J. R. R. Tolkien--Another "edited together by his son" work that was very interesting. Reviewed here.
  • The History of Rasselas Prince of Abyssinia by Samuel Johnson. Reviewed here.
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green--This is a leftover from our time in England. Reviewed here.
  • English Fairy Tales and Legends by Rosalind Kerven--More leftovers that were fun. Reviewed here.
History
  • The Medieval Myths by Norma Lorre Goodrich--One of the included myths is Beowulf! Reviewed here.
  • Visiting the Past by Gillian Hovell--A book for amateur archeologists! Reviewed here.
  • The Anglo-Saxon World by Kevin Crossley-Holland--Yes, yet more leftovers from England. Reviewed here.
  • Ellington at the White House 1969 by Edward Allan Faine--Jazz and politics, should they mix? In 1969 the occupant of the White House was...Richard Nixon! Nixon and Ellington sound like a weird combination but somehow it worked. Reviewed here.
Theology
  • Showings by Julian of Norwich--After reading Medieval Women Mystics, I added this to my wish list and got a copy! Reviewed here.
  • Humility Rules by J. Augustine Wetta--Bragging about humility has got to be interesting, right? Reviewed here.
  • Means to Message by Stanley Jaki--Scientist, priest, and theologian Jaki wrote a bunch of essays on truth. Reviewed here.
  • St. Thomas Aquinas by Ralph McInerny--Most famous for the Father Dowling Mysteries, McInerny was an astute medieval philosopher, so this is more theology than biography. Reviewed here.
  • The Right to be Wrong by Kevin Hasson--Another paradoxical title! Reviewed here.
  • Psychology and Religion by Carl Jung--Maybe not theology, but I didn't want to leave Jung hanging all by himself. This was a bit too technical for me to appreciate fully. Reviewed here.
Fun Stuff
  • The Geek Dad Book for Aspiring Mad Scientists by Ken Denmead. Reviewed here.
  • The Bluffer's Guide to Beer by Jonathan Goodall. Reviewed here.

I also read graphic novels and manga (basically, graphic novels from Japan). Here's last year's graphic novel challenge list:
  1. Superman for All Seasons--reviewed here.
  2. Asterix and the Falling Sky--reviewed here.
  3. Koshchei the Deathless--reviewed here.
  4. My Hero Academia Volume 2--reviewed here.
  5. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 8--reviewed here.
  6. Level Up--reviewed here.
  7. The Man of Steel--reviewed here.
  8. Rasputin: Voice of the Dragon--reviewed here.
  9. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 9--reviewed here.
  10. The Life of Frederick Douglass--reviewed here.
  11. My Hero Academia Volume 3--reviewed here.
  12. Form of a Question--reviewed here
  13. Pacific Rim Aftermath--reviewed here.
  14. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 10--reviewed here.
  15. Royden Lepp's Rust Volume 1--reviewed here.
  16. Life of Captain Marvel--reviewed here.
  17. My Hero Academia Volume 4--reviewed here.
  18. Black Hammer Volume 2--reviewed here.
  19. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 11--reviewed here.
  20. Royden Lepp's Rust Volume 2--reviewed here.
  21. The Chancellor and the Citadel--reviewed here.
  22. My Hero Academia Volume 5--reviewed here.
  23. Black Hammer Volume 3--reviewed here.
  24. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 12--reviewed here.
  25. The Shadow Hero--reviewed here.
  26. I Kill Giants--reviewed here.
  27. Big Ideas: Rocket to the Moon--reviewed here.
  28. My Hero Academia Volume 6--reviewed here.
  29. A Fire Story--reviewed here.
  30. Secret Coders Volume 3--reviewed here.
  31. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 13--reviewed here
  32. Secret Coder Volume 4--reviewed here.
  33. The Walking Dead Volume 31--reviewed here.
  34. My Hero Academia Volume 7--reviewed here
  35. Secret Coders Volume 5--reviewed here.
  36. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 14--reviewed here
  37. The Night Witches--reviewed here.
  38. Secret Coders Volume 6-reviewed here.
  39. Shazam!--reviewed here.
  40. The Quantum Age--reviewed here.
  41. My Hero Academia Volume 8--reviewed here.
  42. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 15--reviewed here.
  43. Hawking--reviewed here.
  44. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane--reviewed here.
  45. Grimoire Noir--reviewed here.
  46. Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 1--reviewed here.
  47. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 16--reviewed here.  
  48. My Hero Academia Volume 9--reviewed here.
  49. The Walking Dead Volume 32--reviewed here.
  50. Amazing Decisions--reviewed here.
  51. Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 17--reviewed here
  52. Shackelton: Antarctic Odyssey--reviewed here
  53. Miles Morales: Spider-Man--reviewed here.
  54. Deogratias: A Tale of Rawanda--reviewed here.
  55. My Hero Academia Volume 10--reviewed here.
  56. Fullmetal Alchemist 18--reviewed here.
  57. Castle in the Stars Volume 3--reviewed here.
  58. Spider-men--reviewed here.
  59. New Super-man and the Justice League of Chinas--reviewed here.
  60. Ghosts--reviewed here.
  61. My Hero Academia Volume 11--reviewed here.
  62. Lewis & Clark--reviewed here.

Here's next year's plans:

Fiction
  • The Cyberiad: Fables for the Cybernetic Age by Stanislaw Lem--he's the author of Solaris, so I've had him on my radar for some time.
  • Neuromancer by William Gibson--more cyber-shenanigans!
  • Outer Banks Tales to Remember by Charles Harry Whedbee--local stories and myths from North Carolina.
  • Scottish Myths and Legends selected by Rosemary Gray--Scotland must be a good source for myths and legends, right?
History
  • Swords Around the Cross: The Nine Years War by Timothy T. O'Donnell
  • Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland by (you guessed it) Malachy McCourt--This should pair well with the previous book?
  • Roanoke Island: The Beginnings of English America by David Stick--More from North Carolina, though this is actual history.
  • The Apostle of the Marianas 1627-1672 by Juan Ledesma--I bought this book on Guam last century/milennium (take your pick), so it's been on the shelf of shame for a while.
Theology
  • Friar Thomas D'Aquino: His Life, Thought and Works by James A. Weisheipl, O.P. A Dominican writing about the Dominicans' superstar!
  • Upon This Rock: St. Peter and the Primacy of Rome in Scripture and the Early Church by Stephen K. Ray
  • Science of Today and the Problems of Genesis by Patrick O'Connell, B.D.
  • What is the Point of Being a Christian? by Timothy Radcliffe, O.P.
Philosophy
  • Utilitarianism by John Stuart Mill--Will I keep this after I've read it?
  • Five Moral Pieces by Umberto Eco--Some non-fiction from The Name of the Rose author
  • The Poverty of Historicism by Karl Popper
  • The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton--I may have to read Boethius's original Consolation of Philosophy along with this.
  • The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche--I still haven't read any full work by Nietzsche. I had a professor who said Nietzsche is very popular with teenage boys but they shouldn't read him because a lot more is going on than the surface meaning.
  • The Evidential Power of Beauty: Science and Theology Meet by Thomas Dubay, S. M.--maybe this should be in theology?
I'll be doing the graphic novel challenge again as well, though I still haven't seen a sign-up for it yet. My Hero Academia and Fullmetal Alchemist are still going strong for me and I am hoping the final Amulet book comes out in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment