Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Geocaching March 2024

After finding a cache on every calendar day of the whole year (thanks to this year being Leap Year), I snagged the Odenton challenge trail Cache #7 calendar challenge which requires a cacher to make a find on 365 days of the year. February 29 is not required but I thought I'd wait anyway. I also completed two Adventure Labs in Annapolis that got their own blog post here.

The next day was rainy, so I found a quick cache-and-dash at a rest stop on I-95. As I pulled up to ground zero, a truck was blocking the way! I waited a bit, didn't see the driver in the cab, and decided to make the try for Not a Dog. The hardest part of the find was getting the courage to sneak around the tractor trailer!

I hope this isn't in your way when you try for it

Back on the OCCT I got Cache #20: 10 Challenge Challenge Cache, which requires the signer to find ten challenge caches. This cache cannot count as the tenth, which was fine because this was my thirteenth. After another coffee meetup, I found Columbia MD: Second Five Villages Adventure Lab Cache, having finished the lab a long time ago. Now I just have to finish the first five villages...

I found two caches that were hidden on Leap Day almost a week after Leap Day. A Challenge cache for pretty much everyone was an easy find and super-easy to qualify for--all a cacher needs is one cache found! I swapped out my new Treebeard Travel Bug for the Swiss Scout Troop Travel Bug. It wants to go back to Switzerland, so I planned to drop it closer to the airport. Treebeard is looking for some forests to visit, hoping to find Entwives.

Treebeard in chains!

More challenging was the multicache Multi Leaper LBD Style. LBD refers to Little Black Dog, a cacher who used to live in this area and is fondly remembered. The first stage was not hard to find. The convoluted math was not too hard to do. The final stage was a vertical challenge for everyone. Luckily, I found some stuff to help me get the final container...

Vertical enhancers

Kid Amuck Undies was a cache I failed to find a couple of months ago. The cache owner replaced it (several other people couldn't find it either!) and I made the find before going to give blood at the Red Cross. A tree was stuck trying to go under a bridge nearby.

Big roots

Then I found a couple of mystery caches, Brood X Emergence and RWP: Henry Bumstead, along with the regular cache Bear's Way.

A lake for brooding

Bear trail?

I found another in the Stray Series 1: Cats Cat Name Jenny. Such a cute container and such an easy find!

Cute cat

To keep up the mystery cache finds, I logged OCCT #5: Mystery Month Challenge since I had found a mystery cache for every calendar day in February. The next day was the Monday morning coffee club with a related traditional cache right after the metting--One of these things.... And I made a Monday mystery find--Not So Random Wiki Puzzle--Blackburn Rovers F. C.

I finally finished out the letters of the local alphabet series with W, X, Y, and Z. X was the toughest since it involved a lot of bushwhacking through thorns. The others were all very close to trails and easy to get too. I took 45 minutes to find X and 45 more minutes to find the other three caches. On my way home, I found easy for which the main challenge was finding parking nearby. 

Dicey bridge by X

No bushes to whack!

A better bridge

Fancy house near easy

Close-up of the house

Still filling in mystery calendar days, I found previously solved caches Cootie Catcher and If You Like To Talk To Tomatoes..., both in the same parking lot. Just down the road from the shopping center's parking lot, So Long 2019..., was another easy find though not a mystery cache.

RWP: Spanish Attorney General was an easy find on an early Saturday after I dropped my daughter off for her robotics competition. Since the parking area had some other caches, I also found Be a Good SAMaritan (by a Sam's Club), Righty - Tighty, Lefty - Loosey, and Eggceptional. They all went so quickly I drove over to St. Alban's Labyrinth for a multicache find.

Sam's cache

Me and my labyrinth

Important Maryland Information is another mystery cache that was a quick find on a quiet morning. The mystery is all about Maryland crabs! The next day I found OCCT #33 Signal For President Challenge, requiring the cacher to have finds in enough states to gain a victorious number of Electoral College votes, which I have!

Old National Pike Mile Marker 12 Revisited is a two-stage cache where the first stage is by the titular marker and a historic information sign. With some numbers from the sign, I was able to determine the final location, not too far down the street (but I did have to drive).

Marker 12

With some nice weather, I did the Merriweather Post Pavilion Sculpture Walk Adventure Lab with its bonus cache. See the sculptures here. Since I was by the venue, I found The Chyrsalis, a regular cache by the stage that hosts free concerts.

Merrifield Post Pavillion

One cache that has been on my radar for a while is The Haunted Woods, which used to be the location of an abandoned cabin (if the write-up is to be believed). It's near a church that was actually busy on a Thursday morning. The people looked like they had a service project going on.

Not as creepy without the cabin?

The haunted cache was my 100th find in Anne Arundel County, qualifying me for the MD 100 Maryland Road Challenge. It took me longer to find the hide than it should have. 

All the World Is a Stage is a Shakespeare-based mystery cache that I solved a while ago and finally found. It is not at all near a stage.

No stage, but water nearby

I finally completed Deepdish23's Trivia Haunts Adventure Lab, so I found the bonus cache on a rainy day when I needed a quick find. Later that day, LePreChaun was a second discovery.

Confections was another mystery that I solved but was near my daughter's second robotics competition, so I was able to make the far distant find.

More civilization than Shakespeare's cache?!?

I finished the month out with a bunch of caches on our trip to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. See about those caches here. More on the trip soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment