Thursday, April 4, 2024

Geocaching on March 2024 Trip

We used the spring break school vacation to go visit Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. I did a bunch of geocaching during our travels.

On the way down, we stayed just south of Richmond, Virginia. The area had a ton of easy caches, I found just two of those, Step Right Up, Get Your Numbers Here #18 and #19, in the parking lot of our hotel. I also found Souvenir Collecting Challenge - Newbie, which only requires two souvenirs to qualify. 

Surveillance photo of me getting my numbers there

An easy path, can't you see it?

Later on the drive, we took a break at Miracle Park, Nash County, North Carolina. I found Nuts and Bolt #1 which I was unable to sign because the log was stuck in the container.

Even tweezers probably wouldn't have helped

The next day we were in Hilton Head. My first caches were Coligny Circle, a traffic circle with a lot of vegetation inside, and  A View of the Cove with a view of Shelter Cove.

Hard to see traffic from inside the circle

Could be a jigsaw puzzle?

In Savannah, Georgia, I found a bunch of Adventure Lab locations but not all of any one Adventure Lab. Down by the river, I found X Marks the Spot which is a virtual cache where one can shout and hear an echo. There's plenty of other tourists around to make it embarrassing. I wimped out and just clapped loudly. The echo effect was not that impressive. I took a picture to prove I was there.

Me and the X

Back on Hilton Head Island, we (i.e. the whole family) found A door makes a difference at one of the local fire departments. We also went nearby to find Puzzle In the Park at Jarvis Creek Park. 

Puzzle final location back in there

In the Sea Pines Resort, I found the virtual cache Voo-doo, Indians, and Tabby which took my family to several sites, including a shell ring in the Sea Pines Forest Preserve.

The shell ring is covered in leaves!

The Salty Dog Cafe has a webcam for visitors that is an official webcam cache, so I got my picture there when we had lunch!

Web cam image

Veterans' Park is a sombre memorial to those who served and died in the United States military. This was a cache of opportunity and I didn't have a pen, so I took a selfie with the log.

The memorial

The log and me

My final two caches on Hilton Head Island were Nature in the Interstices - my first lamppost hide and A little help please... , both of which had their challenges. The lamppost hide was not a traditional "lift the skirt" so it required a little more searching. As a multicache, the lamppost led me to another spot for the ultimate find. The second was at another fire station, so I had to search the grounds on my own (i.e. no family along), making the search longer but still successful.

Fire department

Swag from the fire department--post-it notes!

The final find was on the way home in Virginia, somewhere on I-95. GeoTruckers #3 Micro was a fast find though I was spotted by someone charging their Tesla near GZ. No pictures of the finale, sorry!

More on the trip in subsequent blog posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment