Sunday, February 23, 2014

Shrine of the Virgin of the Rosary, Pompeii

The Shrine of the Virgin of the Rosary of Pompeii is a minor basilica in the modern town of Pompeii. The church was commissioned by Bartolo Longo, a local lawyer who had a devotion to the holy rosary. He was given a painting of Our Lady of the Rosary from a Naples convent. The painting became the centerpiece of the new church. The church was completed and consecrated in 1891. In 1939 it was enlarged to a basilica and is the cathedral for the bishop of Pompeii.

Shrine of the Virgin of the Rosary of Pompeii

The bell tower

Detail from the tower

The portico of the church has many fine statues of holy Italian men and women.

St. Frances Cabrini

Ludovico da Casoria

Luigi Guanella

Leonardo Murialdo

The inside of the church is fantastically ornate. We went to Sunday Mass here. The schedule of Masses is hourly so there wasn't much time to wander around and take pictures. We could have spent a lot of time here.



John the Evangelist with Pope Francis below!

The organ

Our Lady of the Rosary painting from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment