Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Dual/Duel Review: Sweet Baby Jesus! vs. For Pete's Sake!

Dual/Duel reviews are an online smackdown between two books, movies, games, podcasts, etc. etc. that I think are interesting to compare, contrast, and comment on. For a list of other dual/duel reviews, go here

One of the beers I bought for the most recent War of the Christmas Novelty Ales was Sweet Baby Jesus!, which certainly sounds like a Christmas-themed beverage. With a little research I discovered that the beer is not seasonal but a year-round offering from DuClaw Brewing. On the web site I saw another similar beer they offer called For Pete's Sake! Being Catholic, the two beers seem like a natural pairing since Saint Peter was the hand-picked successor of Jesus Christ. I doubt that's what the brewers had in mind but often artistic works have a meaning far beyond what the artists themselves imagine. On to the smack down!

Sweet Baby Jesus! by DuClaw Brewing
  • From the bottle: "A classic, full-bodied, robust porter with a smooth, dry finish and just enough hops to balance aromas and flavors of roasted malt, chocolate, and peanut butter so rich that just one sip and you will...exclaim the name!"
  • From me: The smell straight from the bottle is definitely chocolaty. The flavor is chocolaty too, with hints of peanut more than an overpowering peanut butter flavor (this is no peanut-butter-cup wine cooler). This is a very rich and satisfying porter. I enjoyed it and would drink it again.
For Pete's Sake! Imperial Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter by DuClaw Brewing
  • From the bottle: "This full-bodied imperial porter is a mix of peanut butter and chocolate flavors, fruit esters, & coffee notes so heavenly, you'll exclaim a new name...for Pete's sake!"
  • From me: This porter has a peanut butter smell and a strong coffee flavor. It's okay as a porter but the coffee flavor ruins it for me. I found myself looking for a snack to eat while drinking it to offset the flavor. I'm just not a coffee fan so this is not a winner for me.

Clearly, Sweet Baby Jesus! is the winner in this competition. Lay off the coffee, Saint Pete!

No comments:

Post a Comment